The State of Our Clinics
The State of Our Clinics:
- In 2014, Louisiana legislators passed HB388, requiring physicians who perform abortions to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of the clinic.
- A federal judge blocked the enforcement of this law, stating that the privileges were both unnecessary (because of the safety of abortion) and inaccessible (because of political pressure on hospitals to not grant them.)
- After Causeway Medical closed, following the retirement of its physician, only four clinics remained in Louisiana.
- Earlier this month, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned this injunction, and two of the remaining four clinics were prevented from performing abortions. SCOTUS then stepped in to override this.
- Texas passed a similar law, which was heard on March 2 by the Supreme Court. The results of this case will determine admitting privilege enforcement throughout the US.
- At this time, clinics are open in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Bossier City, and Shreveport.